2010/02/09

On WWII

My dad and grandmother are both big fans of war movies so last night they were watching the making of Band of Brothers (some WW II-related film series) on HBO (or was it Cinemax?). After such, my dad couldn't stop speaking about the war blah blah blah (remember he's a fan haha). And out of nowhere I just blurted out that how come there isn't a movie portraying the Axis Powers' side. I mean, there are all sorts of film about American or British soldiers fighting and all, dying as heroes.. blah blah blah... but I didn't get to see what's happening on the German side.

Then, I remembered it's always the victor who writes history. From the history books, it was all about how Germans are these evil persons who kill lots of Jews and stuff but somehow, how can we be sure Americans didn't do that to their German captives or some innocent people as well? I mean, that's war! There's bound to be casualties! And I bet, if the outcome of WWII was the opposite, the movies would all be about German heroes fighting for their territory against the American villains, you get what I mean?

Now, I don't believe that in wars, there's this good side and there's this evil side (and this was how I portrayed it while I was growing up! my teacher's fault for instilling this in me!). I mean, both sides are killing the other, both are killing innocent people and destroying landmarks! Survival of the fittest at its worst.

I know I don't even have the right to post this opinion as I know so little. Plus, no offense to Allied Powers (I'm so thankful they saved us from the Japanese invasion). But these are just some thoughts I had last night and I think no matter how unworthy I am of posting this, it's still worth a shot. Unbiased opinion. Very OOC of me, I know.

No comments: