The rain was pouring heavily when I woke up this morning. Carrying a cup of coffee, I walked outside and sat beside my Dad who was drinking his own coffee. He was smoking a cigarette while staring at the rain outside. People walking briskly, their umbrellas open as the rain continuously pours. The sound from the tricycle seemingly waking up everyone begging them to start the day early.
I placed my coffee on the table and started a conversation I never thought would last that long. The conversation started with the fact that I celebrated 3 yrs of working just last Friday. From work, we talked about books we both have read, politics, showbiz, and even about Maskman! We talked about the cartoons he used to watch with me when I was still a lil kid. From there, we talked about how I was so bibo back then. I was always the papansin one and I loved it when everyone's attention is on me. He teased me as he recalled a story my teacher told them (my parents). My teacher claims that all she has to do is stick a microphone to my mouth and I won't stop speaking!
He told me I was always like that. I always loved the attention. I'm not just a part of the crowd, rather I always see to it, that I'm way ahead. Yeah, papansin nga. We laughed so hard about my antics, tears started to form. And in my defense I told him, I'm only that way 'coz I was still a li'l kid back then.
But then he added, "madaldal ka pa rin naman kahit hanggang ngaun.."
I smiled. He did the same. With one final gulp, he stood up and told me breakfast should be ready in a minute or two so we need to go inside. He placed his arms around me as we both sung to the tune being played on the radio currently...
"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy..."
It feels so good to bond with my dad again, just the two of us. Talking, even nonsense topics. Laughing, kidding around, reminiscing, singing.
"Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see..."
Nothing beats coffee in the morning, on a stormy weather, with the first man I loved... my Dad...
No comments:
Post a Comment